Translate

Monday, October 22, 2007

Atlanta and the leadership question

This was Atlanta a night from my hotel room a couple years ago. I was there for a leadership conference. I took a lot away from it. I did, however, leave with a bigger question than I can with.

Every community needs leaeders. There is big interest in learning how to develop leaders. At the conference, and other meetings I have been to, there was a strong assertion that enthusiasm is a hallmark of a leader. In fact, many believe that it is a "sine qua non" of being a leader -- without this, despite all your other leadership skills, you can't be an effective leader.

My question -- how do you train a leader to be enthusiastic? Is enthusiasm a skill? Can it be trained?

--steve buser

1 comment:

Chris said...

Steve, I think there are leaders, and there are followers. I don't think that you can teach someone to be a leader. You can teach someone to be a better leader, but if the person doesn't have it in him to be a leader, you just can't put it there. And, enthusiasm is either there, or it's not. Again, you can't teach someone to be enthusiastic. Either the person is enthusiastic, or he's not. Just my opinion. . . .